Monday, January 18, 2010

The Day No Pictures Would Die

Sorry, no picture today. I'm lazy. Hopefully, now that I cleaned the cesspool that was my bedroom and found my camera charger, I will have new exciting photos to share! Any requests in that regard? I'm open to suggestions.

I'm going to attempt to get some good pictures of my mom. I just realized that I don't have very many of them. As morbid as this sounds, I don't want to look back when I'm older and say to myself that I wish I had taken the time to take more pictures of her. Mortality has been on my mind this week, and can I just say, for the record: suicide and suicide attempts are sad and selfish and stupid and they make me angry.

ANYWAY, moving on...

I was at work late tonight, those manga kids are CRAZY! Also messy, so I had to empty a lot of trash cans. I came home and made delicious Mexicali Quinoa! That's what I'm calling it anyway.

Here's what I did: I mixed about one tablespoon of butter with one tablespoon of olive oil and sauteed half an onion and some minced garlic While I was doing that, I rinsed a cup of quinoa.

fun fact: I adapted this dish from a Curried Quinoa recipe found at www.quinoa-recipes.com where I found out that

“Quinoa is coated with a natural substance called saponin that protects the grain by repelling insects and birds. Rinsing the quinoa is important to avoid a raw or bitter taste. You can tell if there is saponin by the production of a soapy looking "suds" when the seeds are swished in water.”

Good to know!

Anyway, instead of adding a bunch of spices, I just used salt, pepper, and some cumin. I then added the quinoa, stirred constantly for a while then added about a half cup of leftover black beans (frijoles negros!!!) and cooked for a little longer. Then I added about two glugs of salsa. Yes, glug is a measurement in my book, but if you must know: two glugs equals approximately a third of a cup. Stirred that up and then added the water. I reduced the water to a cup and a half because of the moisture in my salsa. I have pretty chunky salsa (with corn in it!) so if you're using some more liquidy stuff, I would reduce the water even more. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, simmer for 15-20 minutes. Took about 18 minutes for me I think.

And, voila! Delicious. This made enough for dinner with enough leftover for take to school lunch Tuesday and Thursday.

Bonus feature (correct me if I'm wrong, Theresa) because this recipe has both a whole grain (quinoa) and a legume (frijoles negros!!!), this dish is a complete protein!

Ba badum BAAAAAAAAH!!!!

(Those are my triumphant trumpet noises! Imagine a little animated stooge in velvet livery showing up and trumpeting my glory and success, mostly because that's what I'm imagining. Don't judge me.)

Anyway, that about does it for me. I'm going to go finish packing my school bag, lay out my clothes, and prepare my coffee pot so I can just press 'On' in the morning. My early morning motor skills preclude me from filling coffee filters gracefully. It's not pretty.

Wish me luck! *muah*

1 comment:

  1. You're right, a grain + a legume = complete protein, but you have an added bonus, my dear. Quinoa is magically a complete protein by itself. One of the reasons it's so cool. I think pumpkin seeds also fit that category, but I would have to double check.

    ReplyDelete