Sunday, January 17, 2010

Curse Your Delicious, Nutrient-Rich Nature!!!

FUNgi, originally uploaded by The Waters of March.

I just had a fabulous time grocery shopping. In the middle of the night on Sunday is always the best time to go to Winco, no one is there except for teenagers racing grocery carts and the restocking guys. The (oh my gosh, gorgeous!) cashier and I had an awesome conversation about the varied uses for jicama, and I bought some quinoa! The quinoa, in fact, ended up being a third of the cost of the entire shopping trip.

Why? Why, Quinoa? Why must you be so delicious and nutritious and expensive?

It is worth noting that neither jicama or quinoa was in my word processor's standard dictionary. FAIL.

Anyway, while I was roaming the aisles, wantonly gazing at almond milk (I didn't splurge, but it was a near thing), I had the best idea for a character quirk. Sort of like a tick even, obsessive compulsive. Imagine someone obsessed with numbers, but not mathematically, that's old hat. I mean historically: dates, times, coordinates. Like, they only buy bulk foods with number codes that are years of significance.

-Rainbow Rotini, 1604, last observed super nova in the milky way galaxy.
-Cranberry Almond Granola, 1912, Republic of China and the Girl Scouts of America are founded, also the Titanic sinks.

Or like the dollar amount of gas.
-$18.64, 1864, Lincoln is reelected and appoints Ulysses S. Grant commander in chief of the Union Army

You get the picture.

(Also, rotini was not in the program's dictionary either. They should let you choose between 'Standard Dictionary' and 'Eccentric Dictionary')

Anyway, the number thing, I think it could be a fun, quirky tick for a character to have. I guess strange character traits have been on my mind since breakfast. Brenton and I were talking about Fat Kid Rules the World by K. L. Going. It's an awesome young adult literature title, and the character has this habit of interjecting “headlines” that sort of comically describe the situation. They're sort of brutally honest and self deprecating (for instance: FAT KID HIT BY TRAIN!), and it gives the whole book an occasional punch of fresh air. I really like that (the fresh air, not fat kids dying), so I've been musing on different internal habits a character could have that aren't as played out as some are (counting steps, repeating stuff, finding complex calculus equations in everyday items...)

I guess I could have a former spelling bee champion who constantly spells words in her head. Or a Latin geek who runs through word etymologies and contexts. I guess that could either be fun and quirky, and potentially education, or it could be really obnoxious. Depends on how I handle it, I guess.

The point is, I LOVE neurotic characters. They're so complicated and interesting and harshly vulnerable. So I'm working on writing one. Remember Arcadia York from a few posts ago? My perfect name that needed a character? Now, we have established that she is going to have a bizarre, and currently undetermined, internal quirk.

Any ideas? Suggestions or opinion on the existing options?
You should probably comment and tell me what you think.

Till then, adieu and good night!

(What? Adieu is in there, but jicama isn't? What incompetent baboon compiled this dictionary? ...oh wait....Microsoft)

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of dates. I like that one a lot. She should also eat quinoa because health nerds are a good quirky too (ps quinoa is in my dictionary. as well as rotini, jicama, and adieu. Mac wins).

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm....health nut...spouting caloric values, vitamin content...hmmm that has potential...

    ReplyDelete